Personally, I was introduced into the MOBA environment through League of Legends; a now popular moba-style game where you choose a champion based on their abilities, and fight in teams to destroy the enemy's nexus.
I love League of Legends, so within that mindset, I went into playing Dota 2 with an open mind. (I was invited for the beta just recently, yay!) I had never played Dota before, and as such, was completely oblivious to just how different the 2 games were.
To put it simply, my impression of both games is...
League of Legends:
- Noob-friendly shop
- Easy to get into for a jump in game whenever you have the time
- Early-on, the community seems nice enough (Later on, they're... not so nice.)
- New Champions every other week, champion tweaks within the same updates.
- The shop seemed to cluttered at first before I got the hang of it.
- At this point, I've been having 10-20 minute queues, which I'm not too happy about.
- I haven't experienced the community too much so far, but from the games I've been in, there are not ragers; even if a teammate quits or someone does horrible. (me)
- I don't know what content will change, or will be added, but I look forward to the full release!
Once again, this is coming from a newer generation of MOBA player(s), so take what I say with a grain of salt. I look forward to getting to know this game from the inside out the way I've learned League of Legends. To those of you still hoping for a beta key, don't forget to sign up for the Survey; Dota 2 Survey.
Good luck on the battlefields, everyone.